Monday, May 18, 2009

Playdate Cancelled

I just got off the phone with one of the SAHMs that I sometimes hang out with. For the most part I like her- she and I have some of the same basic philosophies, however she is one of those moms who plans to NEVER go back to work EVER (which, while I try not to judge, seriously? what is her life going to be when she is 50?). I find her a little judgmental- she makes it quite clear when she does not agree with my parenting- but who isn't really? She is also kind of boring- like tapioca pudding. There is not much you can add to it to spice it up, and it isn't bad, sometimes you just aren't in the mood. Our kids are the same age so we have spent quite a bit of time together, but as they get older Abby isn't interested in her daughter (who is kind of mean in a somewhat innocent way, as well as very competitive with Abby for some reason) and I have been finding myself avoiding playdates with them lately.
Se we were just talking about the recent drama our school district has faced. We ahve elected some new board members which has led old ones to retire, and we are getting a new superintendent. Last week we got an automated call from the current superintendent announcing that the incoming superintendent has received a DUI, and that her future employment is under review. Later this weekend we got another call saying that she has resigned and the search for a new superintendent is on. So we were talking about this and I made the comment that it wasn't like she was a pedophile or anything, and that while this DUI is bad, I think the woman should be given the benefit of the doubt until it is decided if she will be convicted of it or not (she is pleading not guilty). This led to the most insane tongue lashing I have ever received. She went on and on about how permissive I am and that I may have lower expectations for the education of my kids, but she didn't. It then went into this whole thing about how she went to Northwestern and that education was valued in her home and was not trusted to someone who would make such a bad decision to drink and drive. When I tried to defend myself she called me irresponsible and said that she couldn't believe that I was pro-DUI. What?!
I ended the conversation by basically pinching Nora and telling her I had to go and "poorly parent" my kid, but now I am dreading seeing her this afternoon when I pick Abby up from Daisy Scouts. What od I do here? Do I go off the next time I see her? Do I send her an email telling her that she is insane? Do I just ignore her attack? Thoughts?

3 comments:

Christy said...

I agree with you - it's irresponsible, but doesn't necessarily mean the person would make a bad superintendent. It's ridiculous that that woman would berate you like that.

I would just brush her off if she asks for more playdates and she'll get the hint eventually. Yuck.

You need to head to story time or the park and make some new mommy friends. (Yes, I know, easier said than done.)

Tocqueville From The Heights said...

step away from the mean (and unenlightened) mom

Apparently she majored in underwater basket-weaving at Northwestern and missed any and all classes that contained either debate or critical thinking.

Oh, and maybe you should stop wearing your "Got DUI?" t-shirt, since you are so pro-DUI.

Follow Abby's lead. :)

Tocqueville From The Heights said...

PS. Why am I not under your Daily Obsessions?? And what's with Perez's total sell-out to Dove's current marketing campaign color scheme??