Monday, February 04, 2008

Primary Concerns

So tomorrow is Super Tuesday.
I was planning on not voting in the primary because the pain of choosing a candidate has been unbearable, but I feel like I have to have a voice in some of the local stuff around here so it is off to the polls I go.
Of course I have my mom in my ear complaining about me wanting to vote for a democrat on any level, let alone a Clinton. And yes, Hillary Clinton kind of scares me, but I am kind of indifferent about which democrat gets the nod. I like Obama, he is, for lack of a better word, fine. Hillary doesn't make me want to move out of the country (although she does make me nervous), and I like John Edwards (and his pretty pony hair) but he is no longer an option. I just feel like anything is better than what we've got going on now....
So I guess my dilemma is this: would I be voting for Hillary just because she is a woman? How can I tell my little girls that they can do and be whatever they want and help teach them to be supportive of other women doing and being whatever they want if I don't completely support Hillary? I know I know they are too young to understand, but I think that the act of electing a woman to the highest office in the land lays much firmer groundwork for future generations of women than just watching her run does.
I say that Hillary scares me because I don't believe that one can raise the kind of money that she has and still maintain her integrity and not owe anyone something somewhere. And the idea that Ann Coulter would support her makes me scared. I don't ever want it to be said that Ann Coulter and I have anything in common. That, and she is, after all, a Clinton.
I like Obama, I do, but as a resident of his great state I can't help but be a little annoyed that during his senatorial campaign he denied any interest in the presidency and now has kind of abandoned his post in Illinois politics. That aside, I think he is a slid candidate who provides people with a sense of hope that is much needed in this time of war and legislation in the bedroom.
Either way the election goes we are pretty much guaranteed a huge regime change, and we are all getting a front row seat to some serious history making... a woman or and African American president is huge for the history books when you look at the state of political affairs 100 years ago. The problem is if you are voting solely on which minority you support, how do you choose? Do I go with Hillary because she and I are both women, or do I go for Obama because I believe everyone should be color blind?
I was telling my new best friend, Christy, that I wonder if I am feeling what the first wave feminists felt when they had to decide to split from the Civil Rights movement.
At any rate I am ready to do my civic duty tomorrow.
The only thing I hate about voting is that someone has to lose.

1 comment:

Charles said...

It's very sad to me, that almost 232 years into our "evolved" "democracy" "experiment" that we're having this much trouble electing a woman. How can sentient 21st century voters be so blithely indifferent to the fact that this isn't just an opportunity to right systemic wrongs, but that this particular woman running also happens to be the most qualified candidate to seek the office since 1996, the only candidate actually equipped to effect real change? I think they can see it, deep down, but they're just too wrapped up in their go-team college-campus-idealism-saturated rhetoric of the naive and internet-connected that they can't admit it. Even if they're going to pretend like it doesn't matter, all the struggles for agency that have been with us for decades and decades, the battles for a voice that began long before us, aren't going anywhere until we elect this president. I applaud you for bringing an often-ignored (or unvoiced) concern back to the fore.