Thursday, July 19, 2007

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

My never ending quest for the betterment of myself and the desire to set a good example for my children has led me to this group of ladies who get together and plan events to raise money for a local community college. I kind of got pushed into it by Tony because his girlfriend is in charge of this program. He knows I like to volunteer and thought I might get along with his chick. And he is right, I do like her, I guess, I just don't know her all that well, and I think that it is assumed that we will be friends because we have Tony as our common denominator. It is always kind or precarious, becoming friends with someones significant other. I have a whole menagerie of Tim's friend's wives, girlfriends and exes who kind of make me crazy.
Anyway, I went to this thing yesterday where these ladies were putting together baskets for an auction. I was happy to help, but it was supposed to be an all day affair which is kind of difficult when you have two young children, and a car pool to run to camp. I was kind of in and out, but it is not like the time that I was there was spent being useless. I put baskets together, I cleaned up, I did what I was told.
Since I am kind of new to the group I keep a low profile and just kind of do my thing, but there was this one woman who would not get out of my grill. Everything I did she would come over to point out how it could have been done better, or differently. And everything I touched seemed to be her pet project that I was screwing up. This is what I hate about these groups- it is a volunteer thing and all these old ladies complain about there not being any new volunteers, but when new ones come they become all stodgy and unwelcoming.
The fun didn't stop there, she also took this basket that I had put together and took it apart to get the stuffing in the bottom. She left the contents strewn about the table and then walked around asking everyone when I was going to put it together. Also, I ran into a friend of mine from hockey while I was there. He and I took a minute to catch up about a mutual friend's battle with Cancer, and she kept walking by asking what he was doing there, and why I wasn't helping. I have never met such s sour woman. She was also not thrilled that I had to leave to go run the camp carpool, apparently she never had kids that she had to cart around.
This may have been my first and last deal with this group, not only because this woman was SO awful , but also because I am slightly uncomfortable working with Tony's girlfriend. More because this woman was so terrible.
Why is it so hard to give my time away?

2 comments:

Indie Mama said...

ugh! she does indeed sound like a *very* sour woman!

and i totally get being uncomfortable getting *too* close to girlfriends...it's so hard to figure out what to do w/ them when (if) they become ex's!

good for you for volunteering, though, with 2 small kids that's no small feat!

Christy said...

That is hilarious. I can completely picture it. You rock, good for you, trying to be all noble and charitable. Why won't they just let you?!?