Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Twice Removed

Now that I am a little further from our Memorial Day extravaganza, I am able to talk about it without getting really angry at my husband.
Our day started out benign enough...we went to the parade in town (which made me cry) and then came home so that Nora could nap and I could hit the Memorial Day sale at JoAnn fabric. Well Tim decided that Nora "wanted" to nap later and that he wanted to go to the sports store to look at bikes (I don't think I have told you about the quest for the bike, don't worry I'll fill you in). So we divide and conquer, I take Nora to the fabric store and start my thing. Alas the sports store didn't have want Tim wanted, and Abby had to pee so they came to find me and proceeded to stand behind me and ask me "how much longer" until I finally gave up and we went home to get ready for our barbecue.
Monday was a magical day for Tim. Food miraculously appeared near the grill that had turned itself on and cleaned itself off, and all he had to do was cook it and walk it about 10 steps to the table that was set up with food that seemed to appear out of nowhere. There was an endless supply of beer that appeared in the fridge with no effort on his part, however he took full advantage of it and was hammered before everyone got there.
There is a reason that I am the one who gets to drink when Tim and I go out, and that is because I am fun. I am not confrontational, cocky, irritatingly loud or ridiculous the way that he is. Even Tony wanted to punch him in the neck. What was worse was that any time he saw any of our neighbors he would invite them over, so all of a sudden our barbecue for about 10 became one for about 15, then 18, and did he mention that the kid he works with is coming over? Oh, and there is Mike, from next door, he is coming over too, can you please turn the grill back on? No, no I can't right now because not only am I in charge of food, I do have 2 kids running around here that need some supervision, and since their father couldn't be bothered to even entertain the people in the backyard (Tim spent most of the day in the garage, smoking), let alone acknowledge the kids, I kind of had my hands full.
Anyway, at about dusk everyone was gone except Mike from next door, and the kid Tim works with. While they retired to the patio to smoke and drink, I cleaned up all the stuff and got the garbage together. The boys proceeded to sit and "visit" until 11:30. My sister talks about her white trash neighbors, and while she may have me beat on quantity, I have her topped on quality (a professional and sponsored remote control car driver? the guy who takes the train to the loop every day to be a cashier at CVS?).
In all it was fun to see our friends and what not, even if Tim did make me crazy. The parade was nice, and the girls had fun. It was really not that big of a deal, but it was just kind of amazing how useless Tim became all of a sudden. My annoyance has subsided, and now that the bike issue is solved we are going to be on an upswing...
(I'll tell you about the bike thing when he is at hockey tonight if Tony doesn't come over for dinner and to watch Match Point)

No comments: