Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Upside....

We all know that Tim and I tend to talk like sailors on leave, but in recent years (ie, since Abby started being able to understand) I have tried to be more careful. I correct Tim fairly often, and luckily Abby repeating swears has not been a problem. Until now.

A few weeks ago, when Tony and Tim2 were over, Abby dropped the F Bomb (did I tell you about this?). Tim freaked out, and I talked to her about words that mommy and daddy say vs. words that Abby can say. I though we were cool until we were leaving Jewel today.

Backstory: We went to see Tim at work today and he must have said the F word 11 times in the 10 minutes we were there. I corrected him once, but he got all testy because we were at the shop and that is his "domain".

So we go to Jewel to get Diet Coke (my addiction has totally resurfaced) and as Abby is getting in her seat she says, "Hey! The fucking seat belt won't pull!".

We then had a talk about words that we don't say. I let her give me a "silly" word that I can't say to even things out. Now she can't say "fuck" and I can't say something that sounds like skymiting.

So what is the upside? At least she used it in the right context.

3 comments:

Indie Mama said...

Hell...we curse way to much here! We've started saying poo - but I guess it doesn't count if your husband says motherf**king poo, huh?

I'm totally re-addicted to cherry coke...

Christy said...

Please keep us updated! I want to know if the "some words are for adults" approach works. I don't know if we can completely give up swearing, but I also don't want Eleanor to swear! Good luck!

P.S. If Tim has any detailing tips, I'm all ears!

Charles said...

i hate it when the fucking seatbelt won't pull. seriously.