Wednesday, May 30, 2007

More Crap to Clutter the Garage

A few years ago Tim bought me a mountain bike with a baby seat so that Abby and I could tool around the neighborhood. My bike hasn't seen much action for the last two years because the summer of 2005 I had a little bun in the oven, and last summer there wasn't room enough for two in the bike seat. So basically my cool ride has been taking up space in the garage (much to Tony's dismay). I had every intention of buying a bike trailer, but never seemed to get around to it.
Fast forward to this Mother's Day weekend. Some friends of Tim's parents were kind enough to pass down their awesome bike trailer to us. Abby is so proud of her "new trailer" and we have loved the new freedom it has brought us. The ladies and I have had a great time exploring new parks around town and I am now used to towing over 60 pounds of love behind me.
So Tim wanted a piece of this action and we have been shopping around for a bike for him. Now here is how shopping for just about anything goes...Tim has an idea about what he wants, he finds a salesperson, tells him/her what he is looking for, listens to the pitch from the sales person, then leaves saying that said sales person didn't know what he/she was talking about. We then load up the kids and go to the next place and repeat, usually with me trying to tame the kids while Tim does his thing with the sales staff. We then go home where Tim will obsess over the purchase, do "online research" and hem and haw until he makes a decision.
Our current crisis has been buying Tim a bike, and seriously if I have to walk through another bike shop (really, lets take 2 kids to a place where the potential of knocking over several bikes is extremely high) I just might be that woman you read about who kills her husband by running him down with her bike. The great debate has been whether or not Tim should buy a high end bike because he "might" start to ride seriously, or if he should just get one from Target since really all he will be doing is tooling around with the family.
So yesterday I took mattes in my own hands and bought Tim this bike. An while I don't think he is really happy that we didn't end up with this bike we have enjoyed the family bike rides we have taken the last 2 evenings.

So let me ask you this, how long before the novelty of bike riding wears off for Tim? And will he ever admit that buying the Target bike was a way better idea because, seriously, he is never going to do more than cruise the neighborhood while I tow the kids.

2 comments:

Indie Mama said...

If he's anything like my guy he will never, ever admit that! My dude would also regail me with sales and prices for the great bike months after the purchase of the Target one - as in "man we could've gotten a deal on that bike" to which I would reply... "no, really...that was 8 months ago..."...

of course with us it's not so much bikes, but the general idea is the same...

glad you guys had a couple fun rides, though!

Christy said...

I'm jealous of the bike seat and trailer. Sounds cool and good exercise too!